Nrrd ITK-SCIFIO Bug

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 2 15:22:56 CDT 2013

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your suggestions. To be clear, in microscopy these days, it is
quite common to have an experiment stored as a single file (in e.g. Leica
LIF format), which contains many loosely related N-dimensional images from
the same experiment, but dimensionally different. So you might have, e.g.:

512 x 512 (single image plane)
768 x 512 x 12 T x 5 Z
1024 x 1024 x 3 C x 100 T
... etc., with very few rules or limitations on the number of images, or
their structure.

It would be great if in ITK there were a way to represent this in a general
way. SCIFIO & Bio-Formats handle it by allowing you to specify the image
index you want to retrieve. (From the information so far, it sounds like
the VideoIO may not be powerful enough, and/or may not match the intended
use case here?) What would be the best way forward to pursue such an
enhancement?

Thanks,
Curtis