[SCIFIO] SCIFIO 0.10.1 release

Mark Hiner hinerm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:43:51 CDT 2014

Hi all,

 I haven't sent out a release notice in a while for SCIFIO, so I wanted to
bring people up to date with the new features and improvements in the
latest releases:

* We added a configuration
framework<https://github.com/scifio/scifio/commit/917e6105bc61aed39bdc52853c7c8e8dbe3e47a9>.
Like Bio-Formats, the lower level SCIFIO components (e.g. readers, writers,
parser) try to provide configuration options to adjust behavior as needed.
However, we realized that the steps required to select configuration
options were overly cumbersome, and in some cases completely papered over
by convenience methods. To avoid proliferating configuration options
through method signatures, we now have a single class that can accept
configuration for a variety of SCIFIO components - essentially locking in
state for the scope of one execution. This also should make it much easier
to expose these options in consuming software like IJ2, as the appropriate
information just needs to used to populate one object, and then the
framework can take over.

* We split the translation API <https://github.com/scifio/scifio/issues/145>,
to allow ImageMetadata and format-specific Metadata to be handled
separately. This fixed a fundamental problem with translation, in that
wrapped Metadata objects couldn't be translated properly.

* One of the highest impact changes didn't come from SCIFIO, but rather in
Fiji we can now support proper plugin class loading when switching to
modern mode. This means that the SCIFIO plugins
scifio-ome-xml<https://github.com/scifio/scifio-ome-xml>and
scifio-bf-compat <https://github.com/scifio/scifio-bf-compat> are now
working as intended, and you can now work with Bio-Formats formats and
OME-XML through SCIFIO when using Fiji.

There were also a large number of bug fixes, API improvements (continuing
to simplify Format implementation, removal of protected field use) and
more. See the SCIFIO issues
page<https://github.com/scifio/scifio/issues/milestones?state=closed>for
a more complete listing.

My current priorities for the 0.10.X line are continuing bug fixes (some
problems writing certain formats still) and migrating the Bio-Formats test
suite to SCIFIO, to establish regression tests.

Thanks,
Mark