[SCIFIO] Fiji Plugin Almost Finished

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon May 12 12:52:12 CDT 2014

Hi Ajeet,

[CCing scifio mailing list, which is the best place to discuss these sorts
of file format issues.]

> Johannes, I have a tiff image stack of images all of different width and
> height. When reading with the bioformats importer, it assumes that all
> images are the same size and sets the width/height for all images to
> that of the first image. Curtis and I have filed a ticket to correct for
> this in the future, but is there a way to get the dimensions of an
> individual image in a tiff stack? (The first image in my stack is
> 1008x3008, and the last one is supposed to be like 40000x70000. I need
> the exact dimensions of the last image.)

For others' reference: https://github.com/scifio/scifio/issues/159

Ajeet: SCIFIO has a low-level TIFF API you can use to do it:
https://github.com/scifio/scifio/blob/master/scifio/src/main/java/io/scif/formats/tiff/TiffParser.java
https://github.com/scifio/scifio/blob/master/scifio/src/main/java/io/scif/formats/tiff/IFD.java

See in particular IFD#getImageWidth() and IFD#getImageHeight().

Better would be to fix the bug in SCIFIO's TiffFormat, such that it reports
a different Image per plane size. Want to try your hand at it? Mark and I
would be happy to answer any technical questions.

-Curtis