[SCIFIO] New file format for SCIFIO

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 12 09:49:09 CDT 2014

Hi Jerome,

 It's great to hear your interest in integrating your format with SCIFIO
and ImageJ2. I'm copying this mail to the SCIFIO mailing list, as this
would be of interest and benefit to the community.

>I hope you could add this the the SCIFIO or explain me where to integrate
this modification.

 There is a SCIFIO component, SCIFIO-tutorials
<https://github.com/scifio/scifio-tutorials>, which was designed to
introduce the API to developers. In particular, the Custom Format
<https://github.com/scifio/scifio-tutorials/blob/master/core/src/main/java/io/scif/tutorials/core/T3aCustomFormats.java>
tutorial and studying a simple existing format
<https://github.com/scifio/scifio/blob/master/src/main/java/io/scif/formats/PCXFormat.java>
would be the recommended starting point. If anything is unclear in these
tutorials or if you have further questions about how the SCIFIO format
should be structured, please feel welcome to ask questions on this list,
and to report issues on GitHub.

 Once you have a SCIFIO reader for your format, you can distribute it to
users via an update site
<http://imagej.net/How_to_set_up_and_populate_an_update_site>.

 With a little work <https://github.com/scifio/scifio-bf-compat/issues/4>
on my part, your new SCIFIO reader will get picked up by Bio-Formats, which
will then allow it to work in Stitching.

 We're happy to provide any guidance we can - looking forward to your
contributions and feedback!

Regards,
Mark