[SCIFIO] Bio-Formats Imaris writer

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Sun Jan 25 07:30:28 CST 2015

Hi Henry,

 One last note on this topic - Tobias Pietzsch pointed out that ETH-Zurich
has an HDF5 Java distribution currently in use in the BigDataViewer[1].
There's a wiki[2] and artifacts on the ImageJ repository[3] if you'd like
to try it.

[1] http://fiji.sc/BigDataViewer
[2] https://wiki-bsse.ethz.ch/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=26609113
[3] http://maven.imagej.net/index.html#nexus-search;quick~cisd

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Mark Hiner <hiner at wisc.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> http://web.archive.org/web/20120627025240/http://www.buildanddeploy.com/node/14
>> >
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20120308042202/http://www.buildanddeploy.com/node/17
>>
>> Thanks for sharing these links, they were helpful. Since you already have
>> .jars with the native code and jni code, I would be happy to upload them to
>> our Maven repository so they can be consumed. This would at least allow
>> others to build and test your format.
>>
>> The major limitation of this method is that requiring Maven configuration
>> to extract the HDF5 code and get it on the java.library.path is not
>> extensible. I believe it would prevent your format from being used
>> dynamically, and it's not really a technique other 3rd party developers can
>> use, because it requires updating pom configuration.
>>
>> The reason I was advocating for using the nar-maven-plugin is that,
>> ideally, the resulting archive created would not need to be unpacked and
>> would automatically add the native code to the java.library.path[1]. So
>> using your format as a flagship nar-maven-plugin would a) make it more
>> awesome and b) serve as a guide for future format developers.
>>
>> It is, however, certainly more work to use the nar-maven-plugin right
>> now. So, if you can send me your .jars with native and JNI code, I'll try
>> to get them on our Maven shortly.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mark
>>
>> P.S. I did start a project to NAR HDF5[2] but it's not functional yet.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://maven-nar.github.io/usage.html#Create_a_JNI_library_that_is_automatically_unpacked_from_the_.nar_file_using_the_native-lib-loader_project
>> [2] https://github.com/scijava/hdf-jni/tree/create-nar
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Henry Pinkard <henry.pinkard at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Okay, I'm following four tickets for LUTs and timestamps and I can
>>> update the writer accordingly once those are settled. Thanks for that.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, I looked into the native libraries issue a bit more.
>>> The purpose of the NAR plugin seems to be compiling native code and adding
>>> them to archives, but since I already have the platform specific binaries,
>>> I think there is a simpler way of doing this that doesn't rely on having to
>>> compile the native code, which you can read more about here:
>>>

>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20120627025240/http://www.buildanddeploy.com/node/14
>>>
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20120308042202/http://www.buildanddeploy.com/node/17
>>>
>>> Basically, the idea is:
>>> 1) Add the third party .jar with JNI code that calls native binaries as
>>> a dependency
>>> 2) Package native binaries (.dll, .so, or .jnilib) into separate .jar
>>> files specific to each OS/architecture.
>>> 3) Add these .jar's to the SCIFIO maven repository with a classifier
>>> flag indicating OS/arch.
>>> 4) Add dependencies that get the correct jar based on OS/arch.
>>> 5) Use maven dependency plugin to unpack these libraries at build time.