[SCIFIO] Block-wise writer

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 30 10:53:00 CST 2015

Hi Burkhard,

Argh, I think you are getting bit by a confusing naming choice in SCIFIO. A
"planar axis" in SCIFIO means its value contributes to the size of a plane,
not the number of planes. See the ImageMetadata javadoc[1] for a better
explanation.

So, if you have an XYZT dataset for example, and you set your planar axis
count to 4, the writer thinks it has one plane of size X * Y * Z * T (which
is why the warning says it only supports 1 plane in your case).

If you set the planar axis count to 2 in this case, you would have Z * T
number of planes, each of size X * Y.

If anything is still unclear about planar axes, just let me know. I'm happy
to look over code examples for your translator/writer, as well, and will
try to create better documentation on this subject[2].

Best,
Mark

[1]
http://javadoc.imagej.net/SCIFIO/io/scif/ImageMetadata.html#setPlanarAxisCount(int)