[SCIFIO] SCIFIOImgCells.java

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Mon Sep 21 11:38:48 CDT 2015

Hi Tobias,

>All the figuring out who is responsible and whether it is already managed
etc., that looks really expensive to do for each Cell if you have a lot of
small Cells as in BDV.

There will always be overhead for plugin-based matching. Ideally it
shouldn't be more than a couple of hash map lookups. As far as complexity
scaling with number of plugins of a given type, that's a general concern
which will likely necessitate more indexing support in SciJava eventually.
Also the ref manager should be a HandlerService.

The alternative I think is for cells to know that they need a phantom
reference that can cache them, and to always construct it when a cell is
constructed. Since you have to construct and queue a reference either way,
in theory I wouldn't expect compatibility determination to be the
performance bottleneck. I have not profiled the performance of the cache
service but if doing so did reveal compatibility determination to be a
problem, then I would also expect it to be resolved with better caching and
indexing.

Anyway, for technical stuff like this it's best we discuss on the mailing
list or GitHub.

If you notice problems while you're looking at the code, it's more
efficient for you to commit a fix directly since you have commit rights. If
the fix is not clear, then I would open a GitHub issue
<https://github.com/scifio/scifio/issues>.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Mark