[SCIFIO] SCIFIO or Bio-Formats for C++?

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 17 11:37:37 CDT 2015

Hi Joe,

This article[1] has good links to discussions on this topic (and Java/C++
interoperability in general).

> Bio-Formats C++

Your observations are right on - this is the only option that avoids
C++/Java cross-talk, but would require implementation of the Bio-Formats
reader(s) you're interested in.

> Bio-Formats C++ Bindings

Since these are C++ wrappers that call into Java code, this is likely the
easiest/fastest way to get immediate C++ support for all of Bio-Formats.

> SCIFIO-imageio

This is an unfortunate victim of early SCIFIO brand/library conflation:
it's not actually SCIFIO-based right now, but uses Bio-Formats (C++/Java
communication is accomplished via pipes, instead of the C++ bindings).
Since it's ITK-based I don't think it will meet your needs.

There will likely eventually be a C++ SCIFIO (or ImageJ) core that will
give you all the Bio-Formats format support, but for now I would recommend
trying out the C++ Bindings. If the ND2 reader is added to Bio-Formats C++
then that may be a good fit for your application.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Mark

[1]